Video Scavenger Hunt Lists
A Fun Video Activity
Video scavenger hunt list make it easy to put on your own video scavenger hunt. With a scavenger hunt list, you just have to take a short video of something that you see happening or that your team is doing. Different items on the video scavenger hunt list have different point values, depending on how difficult or embarrassing it is.
I'll give you some ideas for putting together your own list of activities, but if you'd rather use a ready-made list, you'll find a great list below.
Make Your Own Video Scavenger Hunt List
Here are some things to keep in mind as you come up with a list of wacky activities for your own video scavenger hunt:
- You'll probably want to show the videos after everyone has done their hunt, so keep in mind how long that is going to take. If you have four teams, and each team has 20 things to video, and each thing takes five minutes of video time...the videos will take forever to watch! (Well, over 6 1/2 hours!)
- It's fun to have a long list -- longer than they can possibly do in the time they have, in fact -- but you should concentrate on activities that can result in less than 60 seconds of video. It's good to set a time limit of 10 to 60 seconds of actual video for each activity. The key is, for points, it's got to be on video -- so, for example, if every team member has to be doing something, the video has to clearly show every team member doing it.
- Try to get three kinds of activities: (1) Things the entire team has to do, (2) things one team member has to do, and (3) things just to find and record on.
- For the activities with team involvement, they usually have (a) your team doing something crazy, strange or unexpected, and sometimes (b) getting innocent bystanders involved. Just remember to be reasonably safe, legal, and not overly obnoxious.
With your own scavenger hunt list, you can be very specific, or you can be more general, so the creativity of the team comes through. See the list below for some ideas.
The Video Jester Video Scavenger Hunt List
Make a short (under 60 seconds) video showing all team members (can have one team member as camera person, but not same camera person each time):
- Upside down. (20 pts) You may get extra creativity points (up to 10) depending on how you do it.
- Spelling out words of a sign using your bodies, next to/under the sign. (20 points) Extra points (variable) for extra long signs.
- Off the ground at the same time: Jumping, in a tree, balanced on a fire hydrant. 10 points for each different way. 15 points for unusually creative ones.
- Singing in a restaurant. (30 points) Extra points: Other patrons joining in (5 points per person).
- All in a bathtub with water running. (30 points) Extra points: 5 points for singing a suitable song at the same time, 5 points for having the shower going.
- Playing "Duck Duck Goose" or "Hokey Pokey" or a similar game of your choice in a public place. (30 points) Extra points: 10 points for each spectator that joins your game.
- On a boat (20 points), under a boat (15 points), or both on a boat and under a (different) boat at the same time (40 points).
- Giving a martial arts demo in a public place. (40 pts) Extra points: A large crowd gathered to watch (+5), spectators putting coins in a hat (+10), a spectator acting as referee (+10).
- Doing cartwheels on a park lawn. (20 points) Extra points: Having spectators score your performance (10 points), having them use score cards (1-10) to hold up (another 5 points), having them yell instructions and encouragement to you in a Russian accent (5 points).
- Building a human pyramid on the 50-yard line of a football field. (25 points) Extra points: Do a cheer-leader drill to get into the pyramid (up to 10 points).
- Using found objects, make a model of a monument (something local, the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, etc.). (30 points) Just video the team standing around the completed model. Extra points (variable) for creativity and accuracy.
Make a short video showing any team member:
- Getting the smallest dollar value of self-serve gas possible (10 cents? 5 cents?). (5 points, plus 10 points for team with the smallest amount.) Must get a receipt.
- Asking the manager of a store to help find the most expensive item in the store. (15 points) Extra 5 points if the item is over $500. Extra 10 points if the item is the most expensive of any team. (Must clearly show price on the video.)
- Covered with mud as completely as possible (30 points), then washed off in a public self-serve car wash (another 30 points). Extra points at the discretion of the judge.
- Doing a lap in a pool (20 points). Extra 10 points if fully clothed (shoes included).
- Crawling all the way under a parked car, from back to front. (10 points)
Make a short video showing:
- A dancing dog (10 points). Extra points (up to 5) for style.
- The oldest grave in a cemetery (10 points if born before 1900, extra 10 points if oldest of all the teams.)
- Ten strangers telling you their shoe size (15 points, but no points for fewer than 10 people).
- A stranger who can recite a short poem (max length 60 seconds). (10 points) Extra points (up to 5) for dramatic interpretation.
- A stranger willing to blow a spit bubble. (10 points) Extra points (up to 5) for size, style, etc.
- A stranger willing to show how many pushups he or she can do (in 60 seconds or less). (15 points) 15 extra points if the person includes at least two one-armed push-ups.
Have fun with your video scavenger hunt!
If you want a Christmas-themed video scavenger hunt, try this hunt based on "The Twelve Days of Christmas."
Be sure to visit the Video Scavenger Hunt page for ideas about putting on your own scavenger hunt.